As a fashion designer or fashion entrepreneur, you always want to understand what properties fabrics have and how best to use them on the customers body, functionally and aesthetically. Every popular fashion designer has strong understanding power of fabrics, how best to do the design with them and construct clothing from them.
Just drawing and best design idea is not the main skills for designer. Try to integrate your design ideas of the silhouette and details with the choice of fabric as you go along.
To make a fashionable and trendy garments, at first fashion designers need to pick the perfect fabrics. The fabric selection process is very complicated, because the wrong selection can mean a very unsuccessful project.
How fashion designers choose the perfect fabric for a dress:
Here I will mention the some points to select the perfect fabric for a dress.
- At first designer select the target customers like men, women and children then select the fabrics according to the customer and their age.
- If you are the beginner designer, then you need to find a wholesale fabric supplier, someone who will be able to reliably provide you with the quantity of fabric you need.
- If you want to buy lot of fabrics for your fashion house, then do not meet the middlemen in the sourcing process, go straight to the source.
- To understand the diversity of fabric suppliers.
- A quality less design can be improved with a fabulous fabric, but a high quality design infrequently works in a dreadful fabric. So fabric selection is the main parts for fashion designs.
- Fashion designers select their perfect fabrics on the basis of season. In the autumn/winter they used more fabrics and lighter, breathable fabrics are used in the spring/summer dress.
- However, now we tend to be able to wear a variety of fabrics in all seasons. Because today we live and work in heated and air-conditioned environments. In this reason, now fashion designers have flexibility to select their fabrics.
- They consider the durability and functions of the fabric.
- Select the more comfortable, exceptional and colorful fabrics for special occasion dress.
- For everyday wearing garments customers are always avoid the dry cleaning option. So, designer should consider it.
- When fashion designers want to make a flashy print or embellished garment to dazzle as a showpiece on the catwalk. Then they need a fabric that will show off design details of cut, seam lines and darts. But a woolly knit certainly would not allow for this design dress, but a simple plain weave would work well.
- For getting a fitted silhouette close to the body can be make with a tailored woven fabric or bias-cut fabric or may be a stretch fabric.
- For the poor weather conditions, designers consider the fabric and best construction finishes for perfect suited.
- At last designer should consider about fabric cost.
- Before making decision about fabric cost, it is important to select the level of the market you are targeting.
- For making a couture garment fashion designer needs most high-quality original fabrics.
- For High street design garments, they will be made from cheaper, high-performing fabrics that are durable and wash well.
- For making children garments, designer try to select natural fabrics, try to avoid light-weave fabrics, select stretchable fabrics like elastic, knit and denim, wrinkle free fabrics, colorful fabrics, select light weight fabrics like cotton voile, silk and satin, comfortable and relaxed fabrics.
- As a print or weave designer the process of textile design and garment design are less integral. The fabric tends to first be designed as a length and then the garment is cut from it. However, some of the most interesting print and weave designs can come from the knitwear approach where the garment shape develops along with the fabric sample so that they connect with each other.